[Koha-devel] translation complaint...

nicolas morin nicolas at koha-fr.org
Tue Jan 28 23:27:02 CET 2003

Andrew Arensburger wrote:

>On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 03:01:36AM +0100, Benedict wrote:
>

>>Imagine a template file changes in the ./default/en/ directory and the
>>author ignores informing about it the rest of the community. Now,
>>everybody (of the international community) is to figure out what changes
>>took place and when they took place, and he is to manually find the
>>lines to be translated and modified.
>>

>	In another project of mine, the more common problem was that
>someone would add an English string, but it would take a long time for
>it to be translated, especially into some of the less "popular"
>languages, like Portuguese.
>	One of the advantages of gettext() is that if this happens,
>the new string will appear in English in all versions, until someone
>gets around to translating it.
>	In addition, separating all content from translatable strings
>follows the DRY (Don't Repeat Yourself) principle advocated by "The
>Pragmatic Programmer."

It's fair to say that I got pretty bored of translating "Logged in as"
over and over again. And then I should add that it's all getting very
complicated when you don't have just one but 3 or 4 translators : for
the french translation we each took a few directories, but didn't have
any garantee to end up with a coherent translation. And after a few
days, we realized we had used 3 different translations for the quite
straightforward "e-mail"...

Nicolas