[Koha-devel] Perl-based gettext-like modules (was: Re: translation complaint...)

Ambrose Li <acli@ada.dhs.org> via forwarder news-misc at ada.dhs.org
Wed Jan 29 17:45:04 CET 2003

In article <1043885808.1540.19.camel at localhost.localdomain>,
Benedict  <kb2qzv at poczta.wp.pl> wrote:

> print $lh->maketext("You won!"), "\n";
>
>In french it should print "Tu as gagne".
>
>I am just wondering where these strings would have to live...in
>template files or in the perl scripts.

Based on the example, the original English strings will need to
live in the perl scripts.

After reading the man page in CPAN, I think the translated
strings will also need to live in a perl module.

>If template files are to remain clean of any code than this
>would not be a good idea, would it?

I don't think the templates is even allowed to contain code.
(See Q.9 in the HTML::Template FAQ in the man page.)

The module can still be used, if we create a function to scan
the HTML.  (This will need to be done some time anyway, if we
want to convert to/from UTF-8 on the fly.)  However, from a
cursory read of the maketext man page, using maketext seems to
be fairly involved; because of the feature freeze, I suppose
doing such a thing would be considered an experimental new
feature and thus should not be done for 1.9/2.0?  Any comments,
Paul?

--
Ambrose LI Cheuk-Wing  <a.c.li at ieee.org>