[Koha-devel] translation complaint...

paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Fri Jan 31 02:09:02 CET 2003

Hi everybody,

I leave my computer for 2 days, and you begin a revolution :-)

My thoughts :
In french we have a little proverb that say "the Best may be the ennemy
from the Good".
That's the first thing I wanted to say : we need to release a stable
version, so we have to stop improve koha one day !

Second proverb, well known from perl-mongers : "there's more than one
way to do it".
We could use gettext to translate koha. We even took a look at a XML
parser tool with Chris iirc. We have MANY solutions to translate koha.
But which is the best ??? none I think.
* gettext : we can't have themes, and maybe get problems with non 8859-1
languages. I translated gnucash in French, which used gettext. That's
not a "perfect" way to translate too imho !
* templates : we have to rewrite dozen of times the same word.
* XML parser : i could'nt even install the tool :-(, too complicated for
simple installs.
* template+ <TMPL_VAR name="TEXT_xxx"> for some words : needs some
benchmarks tests, but seems a nice idea (best from both worlds)

So, I think :
We made a choice some months ago, and this choice was not bad. Could be
perfected thought ! Let's go to the 2.0 version with it, and let's see
for 2.0.x if we can improve it !

Note : I remember everybody that our first wish is to satisfy
LIBRARIANS. Programmer happyness is a little bit less important !

--
Paul POULAIN