[Koha-devel] Re: MARC links

paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Thu Mar 20 03:33:01 CET 2003

Stephen Hedges wrote:

>Paul (amd Chris) -
>
>I've attached my list of suggested links between the koha database and the MARC
>database.
>
>As you can see, some of the links need to be repeatable.  1.9.0 currently
>accepts only the last link that's entered when there are duplicate links, which
>means the "Checks MARC" function always reports errors.
>
>I've sprinkled other comments in the body of the text attachment.
>
>Stephen

1 month after, I haven't forgotten this mail, and use it.
I try to improve the MARC21 english parameters for 1.9.1, to have a
working parameters in the release.

[biblio table]

biblionumber      090  c  Koha biblionumber
author            100  a  Personal name
title             245  a  Title
unititle          246  a  Title proper/short title
notes             500  a  General note
serial            400  v  Volume number/sequential designation
seriestitle       440  a  Title
copyrightdate     260  c  Date of publication, distribution, etc
timestamp         005     DATE AND TIME OF LATEST TRANSACTION
  [computer generated]
/
==> for instance, timestamp is not auto-managed in koha. It should be
possible to develop a plugin to do this./

abstract          520  a  Summary, etc

[biblioitems table]

biblioitemnumber  090  d  Koha biblioitemnumber
biblionumber      090  c  Koha biblionumber
volume            440  v  Volume number/sequential designation
number            440  n  Number of part/section of a work
classification    082  a  Classification number
  [or it could be an extra subfield in the 090 tag, since
   this + dewey + subclass = callnumber]
 [classification, dewey, and subclass could also be:
   classification  852  h  Classification part
   dewey           852  k  Call number prefix
   subclass        852  m  Call number suffix]
/
==> i've chosen 852 h/k/m, which seems better, and will work fine./

itemtype
  [this probably should be added as a 955 subfield]
/
==> i think you speak of 995, not 955. In this case, it's a bad idea.
995 fiels are related to ITEMS, and itemtype is a biblioitem field. I've
choosen 686a
/
isbn              020  a  International Standard Book Number
issn              022  a  International Standard Serial Number
publicationyear   260  c  Date of publication, distribution, etc
volumedate        260  c  Date of publication, distribution, etc

/==> multi-linked field... 260c is the only remaining multi-linked field
(see below for 500a, and dewey 090b is solved by using 852h/k/m)
In fact,  those fields are differents things, and i'm surprised to see
marc21 doesn't differenciate them. I think our best solution is to
choose one, and do with it.

/publishercode     260  b  Name of publisher, distributor, etc
volumeddesc       300 all PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION
/
==> I really don't find any MARC21 field for volume desc. Maybe we can
ignore this
/
timestamp         005     DATE AND TIME OF LATEST TRANSACTION
illus             300  b  Other physical details
pages             300  a  Extent
notes             500  a  General note
/
==> As 500a is already used for biblio notes, i don't know where to put
biblioitem notes.
Note too that i think biblioitem notes is a unuseful field (biblio.notes
and item.notes are enough no ?)/

size              300  c  Dimensions
place             260  a  Place of publication, distribution, etc
lccn              010  a  LC control number
marc   [what's in this field?]

/==> this field is not used, don't worry :-)/

url               856  u  Uniform Resource Identifier

[items table]
  [lots of gaps here, all needing new 995 subfields?]

/==> I've added some, and there's no problem to have unmapped fields.
For example, i don't think it's important to hare prices and bookseller
info in the MARC record.
/
itemnumber        995  s  Koha item number
biblionumber      090 c Koha biblionumber
multivolumepart
biblioitemnumber  090 d Koha biblioitemnumber
barcode           995 f barcode
dateaccessioned   995 m dateaccessioned
booksellerid
homebranch        995 d homebranch
price
replacementprice
replacementpricedate
datelastborrowed
datelastseen
multivolume
stack
notforloan        995 o notforloan
itemlost
wthdrawn
bulk
issues
renewals
reserves
restricted
binding
itemnotes         995 u item notes
holdingbranch
paidfor
timestamp         005     DATE AND TIME OF LATEST TRANSACTION

--
Paul POULAIN