[Koha-devel] acquisition and cataloguing (again...)

paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Thu Mar 20 06:27:00 CET 2003

Hi all,

The 1.9.1 is almost ready to be released.
In this version cataloguing and acquisition are fully working (at least,
I'll ask you to test if it is :-) )

Please take a deep look at this mail, and answer the ending question if
you have an opinion/idea.

How it will work :
* as we spoke before, they are 2 differents processes.

ACQUISITION
===========
* search/select the supplier
* select *order* option
* search for a book,
* select it if it's in the DB and you just want to buy a new item.
* you add a new (small) biblio if you must create a new biblio
* when item recieved, you complete some informations (barcode...)

that's all.

CATALOGUING
=============
* search book in catalogue option, or, at your option in MARC option
(new menu in top of screen)
* depending on MARC system parameter (ON or OFF), the biblio is shown in
standard form, or in MARC.
* select "edit" link.
* modify the biblio and/or items (in MARC or standard form, depending on
the form you were looking at).
* You can at any time split between normal and MARC form of the biblio.
* At your option, you can enter biblio directly from MARC menu, without
acquisition process.

FUTURE
=======
With such a way to do, we should be able to add in the MARC menu a
"commercial cataloguing import" to import complete notices from a
"commercial" CDROM and automatically replace the manually entered
notice. It will be done after 2.0 i think.

RFC
====
My question is around z39.50.
I plan to add a link in some biblio acquisition that will "magically"
find biblio from z39.50 servers.
The idea is :
* i'm entering a biblio, that is not in breeding farm or is poorly
entered in koha.
* I clic on "magic z39.50" link
* a page appears and shows notices founded from z39.50 servers (with
same ISBN/ISSN or title/author)
* the user selects whatever he wants.
* koha goes back to biblio entering, with magically entered values.

Such a feature could be possible :
* during direct MARC cataloguing (the one without acquisition process)
* during biblio modification

What do you think of this idea ? it will be implemented after 1.9.1, as
it's a non-trivial job (for 2.0RC1 probably).

--
Paul POULAIN