[Koha-devel] Re: MARC links

Chris Cormack chris at katipo.co.nz
Thu Mar 20 13:40:06 CET 2003

On Thu, Mar 20, 2003 at 03:52:41PM -0500, Stephen Hedges said:
> Hi, Paul.  Looks like you've been busy!  I have a couple of comments on your
> notes:
>
> > timestamp         005     DATE AND TIME OF LATEST
> > TRANSACTION
> >   [computer generated]
> > /
> > ==> for instance, timestamp is not auto-managed
> > in koha. It should be
> > possible to develop a plugin to do this./
>
> Now that I'm beginning to become a semi-geek :-) , it seems to me that the
> timestamp columns in Koha would be automatically updated by MySQL whenever the
> record is inserted or updated, so long as that column is not specifically
> addressed.  I'm basing this on http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/DATETIME.html .
> Maybe somebody on the developers list can confirm that?

Thats right, mysql handles this for us. Paul may be thinking to make it less
mysql specific tho, so that it would still work with another database engine
that doesnt have this neat feature.

Speaking of neat features, now mysql 4 is stable, i cant wait to ply with
the query cache, i think it will give us lots of improvements especially in
circulation.

Chris