[Koha-devel] Re: MARC links

paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Fri Mar 21 00:34:02 CET 2003

Chris Cormack wrote:

>On Thu, Mar 20, 2003 at 03:52:41PM -0500, Stephen Hedges said:
>

>>Hi, Paul.  Looks like you've been busy!  I have a couple of comments on your
>>notes:
>>
>>>timestamp         005     DATE AND TIME OF LATEST
>>>TRANSACTION
>>>  [computer generated]
>>>/
>>>==> for instance, timestamp is not auto-managed
>>>in koha. It should be
>>>possible to develop a plugin to do this./
>>>

>>Now that I'm beginning to become a semi-geek :-) , it seems to me that the
>>timestamp columns in Koha would be automatically updated by MySQL whenever the
>>record is inserted or updated, so long as that column is not specifically
>>addressed.  I'm basing this on http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/DATETIME.html .
>>Maybe somebody on the developers list can confirm that?
>>
>Thats right, mysql handles this for us. Paul may be thinking to make it less
>mysql specific tho, so that it would still work with another database engine
>that doesnt have this neat feature.
>
>Speaking of neat features, now mysql 4 is stable, i cant wait to ply with
>the query cache, i think it will give us lots of improvements especially in
>circulation.

Stephen is right for timestamp managed by mySQL. But it's managed in the
non-MARC part of the DB. In the MARC part of the DB, fields are stored
with a "flat" method, and the "timestamp" type means nothing.
But, again, we can ignore this field in the MARC-DB and just add/create
it when exporting MARC data !
That's probably the best solution.

--
Paul POULAIN