[Koha-devel] Some thoughts heading to 2.0

Mike Mylonas dragon28 at ihug.co.nz
Thu May 22 14:13:06 CEST 2003

As we head towards to 2.0 release, I have a couple of thoughts and ideas
that I wanted to share.

These thoughts were based around doing an install of 1.9.3 (many thanks
to all especially Paul and Mike Hansen for the effort they have put in).

Templates & Translations
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Currently the distribution comes with a few different templates, and
hopefully as we finialise 2.0 more translations.  One thought that I had
was to seperate out the different Templates and Translations into
seperate installable files, so that Koha itself is only distributed with
the default templates in english.

If we can make subsequent files available ie default-fr-1.9.3.tar.gz for
the french default etc (please note that I am not picking on the French,
I am just using it as an example), etc then people can install and
configure the translations as they need them, this would also allow the
translation teams a little more time to get the translations complete
without holding up the main releases.

The same could also be done for new templates ie.
vanilla-en-1.9.3.tar.gz.  This may encourage people to add new
Templates, to the point of we could possible have a themes.koha.org etc.

I am intested in peoples comments and opinions, please refrain from
flaming the list, but all flames will be accepted via private mail.

Cheers
Mike M