[Koha-devel] hard coded stuff?

Benedykt kb2qzv at poczta.wp.pl
Mon Oct 27 02:22:12 CET 2003

Hi all,
I am wondering whether this is good or not but in the directory of the includes there
appeared a css file with hard coded path of
.koha {
	text-align:center;
	background-image:url("/intranet-tmpl/default/en/images/background-mem.gif");
	}

Now if the whole idea by introducing templates was to separate the code from the
design then this behavior does not stick to the rules. A person who tries to maintain a
given translation needs to visually inspect every aspect of code in order not to overlook
those kind of changes.

An example: a file in .default/en directory changes. The modification includes a
language string and a path to a perl file ON THE SAME LINE OF CODE. Not all diff
software packages will show both but rather the whole line will be highlighted as having
been modified. For a translator that means visual inspection of the code. Translators
are NOT programmers. They may overlook a lot of such little modifications.

I have voiced this over and over again that there is something wrong about the way
koha chose to internationalize.

Before koha-1.2.3 all the language strings where in the perl scripts. Now they are found
in the template files. I wonder whether there exists a method of still going back to a
flavor of GETTEXT to take care of translations?

Benedict