[Koha-devel] hard coded stuff?

Owen Leonard oleonard at athenscounty.lib.oh.us
Mon Oct 27 06:17:09 CET 2003

> .koha {
> 	text-align:center;
> 	background-image:url("/intranet-
> tmpl/default/en/images/background-mem.gif");
> 	}
> Now if the whole idea by introducing templates
> was to separate the code from the
> design then this behavior does not stick to the
> rules.

But css is not code, it *is* design.  The css file is in a directory of files
that are available to the template-writer for design.  It seems to me that if
somone is working on the /default/en/ template then they should be able to
specify as much.

That said, if template-writers can use HTML:Template variables to specify the
current theme, that makes it easier on others--but I disagree that this has
much bearing to the goal of internationalization.  Template-writers may have
very selfish goals: they want to customize Koha for themselves. They may not
work with internationalization in mind.  It's the developers that need to be
held to a higher standard.

> An example: a file in .default/en directory
> changes. The modification includes a
> language string and a path to a perl file ON THE
> SAME LINE OF CODE.

I don't understand what you're referring to here.  The path to Perl files
should remain constant no matter what template you use.  Only the language
string needs to be modified.  Of course visual inspection of the template is
needed--how else can you make a translation?

> Before koha-1.2.3 all the language strings where
> in the perl scripts. Now they are found
> in the template files.

Isn't this better?  Maybe I don't understand at all what you're trying to say.

  -- Owen

----
Nelsonville Public Library