[Koha-devel] hard coded stuff?

Owen Leonard oleonard at athenscounty.lib.oh.us
Mon Oct 27 09:03:18 CET 2003

> If we had a mechanism to extract the strings for
> translation only the translators wouldn't
> have to worry about the underlying code behind
> it.

If you're requesting that all language strings be moved to some kind of master
file for ease of translation, then say so!  It sounds like the issue of the
image path in the css file is unrelated.

We've had this discussion before, about how to facilitate internationalization
and make template translation easier.  There are arguments on both sides, and
right now the arguments to keep things the way they are are going to win
because we're working up to 2.0 and too much work needs to be done on bug-
fixing and functionality-enhancement.

I hate tracking changes to templates just as much as you do--probably more,
because our custom template is radically different from the default one.  I
have to look at template changes and translate them not into a different
language but into a whole different HTML structure!  But I don't know the
solution, other than to document modifications much better than we do now.

  -- Owen