[Koha-devel] Next release

paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Thu Feb 19 07:33:12 CET 2004

Hi,

I will speak of the next releases.
My opinion, as 2.0.0 release manager is that the next release should be
called 2.0.0, without anything else. It's used in 6 libraries in France,
and some others around the world. It's not perfect, but everything
works. The DB has not been modified (except for indexes) since a long
time. That proves, imho, that Koha 2.0.0 is stable.
Except for z3950 client. But i've a customer that pays me to install
Koha with a working z3950 client, so i'll work on it until it works fine
(hoping it won't need 2 years :-D )

What's next ???
A lot of features are asked, here in France.
Some of them may/should have funders in the next few months.
Some of them require only a few hours (like the bookshelf improvement
i've commited today : done yesterday in the TGV between Paris & Lyon).
The french mailing list is quite active since 2 weeks : users ask for
improvements. I'll write a summary of their needs next week, probably.
I'll put an english version on the wiki.

So, what should we put in 2.0.0 and what in 2.2.0 (HEAD branch of CVS)
My opinion is :
* bugfixes are put in rel_2_0 cvs branch. New releases occurs when an
important bugfix is done, or some minors.
* Any new translation (chinese, german, spanish...) can be put in 2.0.0.
A new release  occurs when a new translation is published.
* everything new is put in HEAD.
* CODE cleaning is done in HEAD, to avoid side effect on buggy clean.
I'll begin to clean some things soon i think.

BUT :
* MINOR improvement, that don't need DB changes, or a really minor one,
*can* be backported to rel_2_0 if the 2.0.0 maintainer want to do it.
* MAJOR improvements are done in HEAD, for 2.1.x unstable and 2.2.x stable.

WHO-DO-WHAT.
We have a useless 2.0.0 Release Manager, as the 2.0.0 is stable.
We need :
* a 2.0.0 Release Maintainer
* a 2.2.0 Release Manager.

I don't apply as Release Maintainer. Do we have a volunteer around ?
I apply as Release Manager for 2.2.0 if other ppl here like this idea.

--
Paul POULAIN