[Koha-devel] Next release

paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Fri Feb 20 00:47:20 CET 2004

MJ Ray wrote:

> On 2004-02-19 15:33:48 +0000 paul POULAIN <paul.poulain at free.fr> wrote:
>
>> I don't apply as Release Maintainer. Do we have a volunteer around ?
>
> After repeated prompting, I'll go for this. If you make me 2.0.0 RM, I
> will:-
>
> 1. Only allow bugfixes into the main tree and try to avoid DB
> structure changes;

I agree

> 2. Aim for every new 2.0 bug squashed within a week of report, time
> permitting;

I agree.

> 3. Ask the 2.2 team to port 2.0 bugfixes or note they don't apply (=
> no 2.0 bug gets closed without it) for at least the first 3 months;

I will look closely to rel_2_0 CVS modifs if I become the 2.2 RM. & it
i'm not 2.2 RM, i'll look closely anyway ;-)

> 4. Make a new release after fixing a blocker or critical bug;

I agree

> 5. Make a new release at most 6 weeks after fixing a bug, with at
> least 2 prereleases;

If the 2.0.x is bugfixes only, i don't think new releases needs
pre-releases.

> 6. Introduce an alternative to the z3950daemon;

I think i don't agree here : the 2.0.x series should only be bugfixes &
minor improvements. And I'm afraid the z3950 daemon alternative is
something too important for this branch.

> 7. Help to update the koha manuals.

I congratulate you, and wish you a lot of happiness with this.

NOTE : i've recieved a mail from someone that asked me "what involves
being Release Maintainer".
It's a good news :
* if we have 2 candidates, it means we will have only 1 RM, but more
that 1 M !!! (& i think we should decide who is "elected" RM on a
"time-avaible-for-koha" basis. But that's my personal opinion)
* If we don't need more than 1M in the far future, we may ask 1M to go
to HEAD and help here.
So, in any way, it's a good news ;-)

>> I apply as Release Manager for 2.2.0 if other ppl here like this idea.
>
> Before deciding what I think on that, I would like to hear how and
> when you plan to reach 2.2.0 - when will 2.1 series releases and
> freeze happen? (I'd prefer to see 2.2 before late October...) What are
> the first set of new features to go into main?

I'll write something more complete in a week or 2, but you can already add :
* Serials module
* up to 5 differents kinds of MARC editor definition (for monography,
serial, multimedia, ...)
* Borrowers suggestions in OPAC
* Rewritted & improved search. With the possibility to order the results
by author / title / LC / ...
* In OPAC, possibility to see the biblio in default / MARC / ISBD / XML
view.
* temporary baskets in OPAC : the user can add a biblio in the basket,
then ask for them on his mail adress (in one of the previous 4 view)
* improve thesaurus management, by having "see also" support (that does
not exist yet)
* LOT of code & DB cleaning in CVS
* CSS-based librarian interface, to : 1-lower html size, 2- have a more
versatile look, 3- have more readable code.

The roadmap ? mmm... good question... It will depend on the number of
volunteers, developpers, funders.
I think i'll fix release dates and then see what we put in the release.
September seems to be a good date for a 1st 2.2 release.

--
Paul POULAIN