[Koha-devel] z3950 search problems

Sullivan,Deric [CMC] Deric.Sullivan at ec.gc.ca
Tue Feb 24 12:35:01 CET 2004

Hi,

	I've had a problem with the z3950 search client and I've noticed
that others have had a similar problem.  It's the problem where the database
connection is lost and reported in one of the log files.  Here's what I did
to get rid of the symptoms.  I'm not a Koha expert, nor a Perl expert, and I
usually use PostgreSQL instead of MySQL so I make no guaranties that this
fix is correct, but it does stop processz3950queue from complaining the way
it did and it seems to make sense that a forked process that terminates
should not be using, in the default fashion, any handles that the parent
process is relying on.  The forked process used a new name ($dbi) for the
handle, but it was the same handle.  Although even using "my $dbi =
C4::Context->new_dbh" instead of "my $dbi = C4::Context->dbh" would not have
worked since the child still keeps the reference to the parents handle
(because it was created before the fork) and this handle would be destroyed
when the child terminated.  At least that's how I see it.  There are
probably other problems because even after these modifications, the search
client still did not seem to work.

Replace:
my $dbi = C4::Context->dbh;
with:
$dbh->{"InactiveDestroy"} = "true";

Replace all references to dbi with dbh.

Deric
The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official position
of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed.