[Koha-devel] Legality of Gifs

Chris Cormack chris at katipo.co.nz
Thu Feb 26 14:43:15 CET 2004

Hi All

The legality of gifs usage in Koha is not really an issue at all, well from
a legal standpoint.
As long as the gifs were generated using a program that is licensed they are
fine.

So the problem is if we have gifs that have been generated by a program that
is unlicensed.
The patent is for creating gifs, not using them. So legally Koha using gifs
doesnt seem a problem, unless we build an unlicensed gif generator into Koha.

Ideally we'd replace all the gifs with png's because we think software
patents are evil, (if indeed you do think that :-)).

But afaik IE still doesnt handle png transparency correctly.

Chris

027 4500 789                                       Katipo Communications Ltd
chris at katipo.co.nz                                          www.katipo.co.nz