[Koha-devel] planning for search rewrite, need feedback

paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Mon Jan 19 05:38:00 CET 2004

Pat Eyler a écrit :

>Yesterday and again this morning, discussions on the #koha irc channel
>turned to searching and a decision was made to develop a "google-like
>query syntax" (GQS) for searches.

Some feedback, based on MARC Search in 2.0.0 intranet.

>  In general, we want to develop a
>much better search back-end that:
>    - can  optimize queries

The MARC search builds queries that are always indexed. Not depending on
the complexity of the query. So, we always get a very fast answer :-)

>    - 'lowers the bar' for developers who want to work on localized
>      improvements for searches
>    - easily spans the range from very simple to very complex queries

The API of the search is quite extensible : you passes some arrays, that
contains the search.
It is really easy to add in the marc search features like :
title <op> <value>
author <op> <value>
before (or after) the actual
That is, I agree, not fast enough for 90% of the requests.

In fact, in Esiee, a student already worked on a "wrapper" for non-marc
searches, that transforms a non marc (& strange) search info a MARC (&
always indexed one). He did not commit because we hadn't 2 branches at
this moment. I put him in cc of this mail to ask him to commit this nice
wrapper to CVS (HEAD branch)

--
Paul POULAIN