[Koha-devel] EAN to ISBN

MJ Ray mjr at dsl.pipex.com
Sat Jan 24 09:40:01 CET 2004

On 2004-01-24 02:27:21 +0000 Daniel Holth <dholth at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> This is the EAN for a paperback edition of Sourcerer (a novel of
> Discworld) by Terry Pratchett.  It's encoded in a barcode.  The ISBN
> is
> 0-06-102067-2 - embedded in the EAN, except the EAN has its own
> checksum.

Uniform Product Code and its international relation EAN are the sort
of barcode found on many products. They are 8 or 13 digit codes which
include subcodes for different countries and a check digit. Books are
from the country "ISBN" and periodicals from "ISSN" with a different
check digit than the one for ISBNs.

I think I heard that this will change soon, as ISBNs get longer. Is
that correct?

Business::ISBN. Do we need to add yet another module? Can we strip the
country code and add the correct check digit?

Thank you for your work. I am keen to examine this change. Where can I
download a patch file from?

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ slef at jabber.at