[Koha-devel] SearchMarc.pm

Stephen Hedges shedges at skemotah.com
Sat Mar 6 05:07:00 CET 2004

Chris Cormack said:
> Hi All
>
> Especially Joshua. Ive been thinking on starting work on Query.pm our top
> level search module.
> And im thinking of using Joshua's SearchMarc.pm module as one (if not its
> main) backend.
>
> Heres what im thinking
> Query.pm creates an object. On creating the kohaquery
> object you pass it a string which describes your search. Pat and Steve
> were
> discussing perhaps using a syntax like googles.
> Eg something like
>

> my $query=Query::new("title: elephants (author: johnson | author:
> tonnesen)")
> you then can do things like
> $num_of_results=$query->count();
> my $results=$query->results(-sortby => 'title', -limit=>10,
> -offset=>'10');
>
> So the Query module does all the hard work, and then all search.pl needs
> do is craft the search string.

Hi, Chris -

As you probably know, Joshua and Owen and I have been thinking a lot about
the searching lately.  I've attached the latest document we've been
passing among ourselves for comment, just so you can see what we are
thinking (at this moment anyway -- our thoughts tend to bounce around a
lot.)

In general, though, I think a query object is a very, very good idea.
Anything we can do to simplify the current searching modules has to be a
step in the right direction!

--
Stephen Hedges
Skemotah Solutions, USA