[Koha-devel] KohaWiki defaced daily

Roger BUCK rog at saas.nsw.edu.au
Thu Nov 4 00:11:28 CET 2004

Rachel Hamilton-Williams wrote:

> MJ Ray wrote:
>
>> http://www.koha.org/wiki/ is being attacked by linkspammers almost
>> every day. Recently, they have become more destructive, wiping out
>> acres of material, such as on the QuestionsPosed page.
>>
>> I'm against forcing user registration, but can we take some other
>> action against these? Maybe some simple way to mark a change as spam,
>> revert to the previous and flag it for the admin to look at (to ban
>> IPs, contact remote network admins or whatever).

The current wiki software ( http://tavi.sourceforge.net/ ) does not
offer much in the way of protection against spammers: Currently a page
is either open for editing or locked and there is only provision for a
single 'admin' password. There has been on-going discussion of
alternative options here:

   http://tavi.sourceforge.net/TaviLoginIdeas

The main sourceforge site along with thousands of other wikis have
become increasingly subject to spam attacks over the last twelve months.

The tavi wiki software has not kept pace with these developments and has
seen little development in general over the last two years.

>> It's not as easy to
>> deal with total destruction of pages, unlike the simple "add links to
>> end of page" spam we used to get.

The wiki is backed up nightly (sqldump - around 16:00 GMT) and there are
monthly backups (held for at least six months), but there is no simple
way to restore a previous version of a defaced page via the in-built
revision control system.

Taking all of the above (and related issues such as RSS problems) into
consideration, it may be time to look for an alternative solution?

Any comments/suggestions?

R.