[Koha-devel] New Interface & Other Work

Owen Leonard oleonard at athenscounty.lib.oh.us
Tue Apr 12 17:07:45 CEST 2005

> - XHTML conversion / sanitation (sponsored job)
> - Converting interface to div-based where applicable to
> comply with latest W3C trend

Both the default ("css" for the opac) and NPL templates are
CSS-based. I've tried to be XHTML compliant in the NPL
templates as much as possible.

> - Correcting / replacing / improving upon the language of
> the system, much of which contains broken grammar or
> indeterminable meaning.

The language in the default/css templates can be awkward at
times because they were written by a non-native speaker of
English.  The language of the NPL templates strives to be
clear and understandable, but using terminology common to my
particular library.  Thus it may not be appropriate for
everyone.

> - Brand new interface style with tab navigation, control
> box, legible fonts and more pleasant colours. (sponsored
job)

Sounds nice.  Have you tried the option in 2.2(.2?) to specify
an external stylesheet for the OPAC?  That's a great new way
for libraries to customize the display.

> - Accessibility enhancements, including keyboard shortcuts
> and auto-field-focus-on-load scripts.

I've just started to add keyboard shortcuts (using HTML's
'accesskey') to some places in the NPL templates.  The focus-
on-load feature is also used in several places (in both
current templates), but I'm sure there are more places that
could use it.  Will you be using accesskey or Javascript for
keyboard shortcuts?

If I may ask, is this project being sponsored by a particular
library?  What kind of library, and where?

 -- Owen

----
Web Developer
Nelsonville Public Library