[Koha-devel] Koha demos at Library Conferences

Chris Cormack chris at katipo.co.nz
Wed Aug 17 04:49:42 CEST 2005

lars at rovaniemelainen.com wrote:
> I'm wondering if anyone on the Koha team is considering setting up tables or
> demos for any of the library conferences?  A lot of library directors and key
> personel attend, especially the big conferences, and would not otherwise hear a
> thing about Koha.  Many directors seem to cultivate a single representative from
> a single vendor and then have them provide ALL their information about what is
> and isn't possible, how much it costs, etc.  Attending a conference would help
> break that cycle and may almost certainly add to Koha development.

Koha has been out and about to a few conferences now.
The ones ive been involved in are the Ohio library assocation
conference, in 2002 in Columbus Ohio. The think linux conference in
Toledo Ohio, in 2002 also. The ALIA conference in Sydney earlier this year.
Katipo and HLT have also presented and had a stand at the last 2 LIANZA
conferences in NZ. And we have a stand at the one again this year.
Joshua from Liblime, plus Owen and Stephen from NPL were at the
Conference in Columbus. And Joshua and Liblime were at the ALA
conference early this year also.

So we try to attend as many as we can, but its an expensive business.
Often very expensive. We simply dont have the huge marketing budget that
the big vendors do, so we have to pick and choose. For Katipo, the
LIANZA (the library association of NZ) conference is our big focus for
the rest of the year.

If anyone else wanted to attend any of the other conferences, let me
know and I can help with hints, things that worked for us etc.

Chris
--
Chris Cormack                                      Katipo Communications
Programmer                                         www.katipo.co.nz