[Koha-devel] News and a Request

Paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Thu Dec 8 16:50:03 CET 2005

Joshua Ferraro a écrit :

> I've compiled a list of features that we've discussed on the Koha
> 3.0 Roadmap:
> http://www.saas.nsw.edu.au/koha_wiki/index.php?page=KohaRoadmap3.0

OK, read & some lines added

I've some question/comments about serials management
(http://wiki.liblime.com/doku.php?id=kohaserialsspec. I havent' read
carefully the complete document, that is fairly long & in english ;-) )
But reading the doc quickly, it appears to me that most of requested
features are already here (although not fully mature for some of them, I
agree)

    1. Check In: registering status of issues (received, missing, late etc)

=> it already exists in Koha 2.2. Since 2.2.4, it also manages the
unpublished & delete statuses.

    2. Predicting “Publication Patterns”: system will know when an issue
is expected

=> it already exists in Koha 2.2, with 10 frequencies available. Numbers
can only be calculated on a numeric basis, but i already know how to add
non numeric sequences ;-) (added to 3.0 RoadMap)

    3. Monitoring subscriptions: Tracking of orders and financial
management of all acquisitions, budgetary information, vendor
information (Fund Management)

=> already possible, although some sentences are not clear to me (& not
everything possible. I agree some features have to be improved)

    4. Routing lists - circulating journals to staff

=> already in CVS head, but in a simple way (search borrowers in
borrowers list, or add manually entries. The routing list containing
whatever the library wants, as it is manual !) a little bit basic I agree.

    5. Claims facility - when an issue is late or missing this should
set up an alert and set in motion a claim for the missing item

=> in Koha 2.2, the library can see late issues from a given bookseller,
print the list, that's something not too far from what is described.
=> In Koha 3.0, with the Letters system, we could easily imagine sending
mails to whoever/when we want !

SO, MY QUESTION :
Has kohaserialsspec been written without searching what already exists
in Koha ? I think the stuff needed to reach what is described in this
wiki doc is not so much.

--
Paul POULAIN