[Koha-devel] Installing Koha HEAD (soon to be 3.0) Part 1

Joshua Ferraro jmf at liblime.com
Sun Dec 11 02:23:06 CET 2005

Hi everyone,

So, you want to get involved in Koha 3.0 development, but you're not
sure how to install Koha HEAD right? Well now you're out of excuses :-).
Here's a brief overview of the steps involved.

1. Install Koha 2.2.4 (or use an existing 2.2.x install, upgrading to
	2.2.4 doesn't really matter). Ideally, this Koha will have data,
	if not, insert some MARC records or if you don't have any, ping
	the list and I'll send you a bunch. Remember, you have to be
	running the MARC=ON version of Koha (for now). NOTE: This will
	completely destroy your pre-existing Koha install, so use at
	your own risk, certainly do not do this on a production system!
	Again, DON'T DO THIS ON A PRODUCTION KOHA SYSTEM.

	(for those of you completely new, there are installation
	directions at http://kohadocs.org)

2. Download the latest CVS stuff from Savannah:

	bash# export CVS_RSH="ssh"

	bash# cvs -z3 -d:ext:anoncvs at savannah.nongnu.org:/cvsroot/koha co koha

3. Install MARC::File::XML

	bash# perl -MCPAN -e 'install MARC::File::XML'

4. Symlink your existing 2.2.x Koha to the CVS tree as described in
the "Updating Koha" document:

	http://www.kohadocs.org/Updating_Koha.html

5. cd /path/to/my/cvs/koha (wherever your CVS version lives)

6. One of:

	bash# ln -s misc/zebra/usmarc zebra
	bash# ln -s misc/zebra/unimarc zebra

	(unless you're in France, you probably have usmarc records)

7. Now, you need to install zebra (http://indexdata.dk/zebra)

8. Create a zebra database (from within the misc/zebra/u(s|ni)marc dir)

	bash# cd /path/to/my/cvs/koha/misc/zebra/usmarc/ (or unimarc)
	bash# zebraidx init

9. run the updatedatabase script

	bash# cd /path/to/my/cvs/koha/updater
	bash# perl -I /path/to/my/cvs/koha updatedatabase

10. depending on how many records you've got, go grab a pizza and
a movie and relax :-)

Cheers,

--
Joshua Ferraro               VENDOR SERVICES FOR OPEN-SOURCE SOFTWARE