[Koha-devel] Re: Requested feature (biblio title order)

Stephen Hedges shedges at skemotah.com
Thu Feb 3 09:50:02 CET 2005

Hi, Paul -

Paul POULAIN said:
> Stephen Hedges a écrit :
>> Excellent point, Ambrose!  And it seems like it shouldn't really be that
>> hard, since that subfield indicator is stored in the marc_subfield_table
>> as the second character in the tag_indicator column.  Once you have a
>> list
>> of biblionumbers returned by Search.pm, you could check them against
>> that
>> column to see if any leading characters in the title need to be skipped.
>
> Yes, but it has the default of being MARC=ON specific, and requires a
> cataloguer that speaks MARC really good. I think i'll try to find a
> solution that calculates the "title for order" automatically, unless the
> indicator has been typed by the librarian, in which case Koha will use it.

I don't think very many catalogers do original cataloging, when you can
get MARC records from vendors, from Z39.50, from OCLC, etc.  And those
that do their own cataloging are good enough to handle the subfield
indicators with no problem.  At least that's the case in the US.  What
you're proposing to do is solve a problem that MARC(21) has already
solved.

Stephen

--
Stephen Hedges