[Koha-devel] New Koha Logo

Paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Wed Jan 19 01:24:04 CET 2005

Rachel Hamilton-Williams a écrit :
> Hi All,

Hi kiwis,

> SO I've been pretty bold I think - reduced the size of the egg/koru, and
> really integrated it with the Koha Name - and great big shock, after
> talking with some PR/Sales folks here, I've actually taken the words
> "Open Source" *and* "Free" our of the tag line, and left it at Library
> System.
>
> http://katipo.co.nz/gallery/album103
>

> So any thoughts?

My opinion :
* I think this logo is a little bit too black. Maybe a little
black-to-grey somewhere would be a good idea. However i'm NOT a graphist ;-)
* what I think really GOOD is having a logo that can be used with any
stylesheet. I really love the 2.0 logo, but the green cannot be
associated easily with colors like blue or red. So, if the egg is only
black & white (with some transparency), it can be associated with almost
any color[1]
* didn't we decide that Koha had to be written with a K, not a k some
months ago ? (question, i'm not sure at all)

> I was after a more "mature" look, now we are 5 :-)

:-)

> The Free/Open Source debate has raged on and off - and so a version with
> "free" in it would be possible I think if some would rather use that -
> here both are confusing which is why I was thinking of droping them -
> but again YMMV, so let me know and I'll do a couple of versions.

My opinion here :
* the "free library system" sentence must be out of the logo. For
translation purposes (worst : in french a "librairie" is a bookseller, a
"library" is a "bibliotheque". A non translated word could be a real
trouble for many ppl)
* I heavily prefer having the word free in it. In french, it's "libre",
and "libre" (=free as speach) is different from "gratuit" (=free as
beer), so no risks here. And "free" is shorter than "open source" (in
french like in english). And, last, "open source" is not enough. It
should be written "open source in the Open Source Initiative sense".

[1] note that, if i don't mind, the PNG format has a transparency layer.
mozilla/firebird deals perfectly with PNG, and IE works with it too, but
only with a 8bits transparency layer. Is it enough to have a logo with
some transparency, I don't know, i let you investigate on this. But if
it's possible, then it's good news : we could have a B&W with
transparency logo, with a background-color we want, depending on the
style sheet.

--
Paul POULAIN