[Koha-devel] New Koha Logo

Michael Lake Mike.Lake at uts.edu.au
Wed Jan 19 15:53:09 CET 2005

Rachel Hamilton-Williams wrote:
> Which lead me to wanting a new logo - a refinement of the egg, which has
> talking with some PR/Sales folks here, I've actually taken the words
> "Open Source" *and* "Free" our of the tag line, and left it at Library
> System.
> http://katipo.co.nz/gallery/album103

I prefer "Open Source Library System". It IS Open source as it's under
an open source licence. The term "open source" is getting publicity and
it's getting understood by governments, journalists and companies. Most
  are starting to get the idea with it being available for download for
'free' but that you can often get professional support for it from
either producer or third parties.

The term "Free" is being used less. Free also refers to non-open source
code that you don't pay for. It's just infortunate the English does not
have an perfect match for "libre".

I don't understand Pauls comment:
> And, last, "open source" is not enough. It should be written
 > "open source in the Open Source Initiative sense".

In my understanding just "Open Source Library System" would be perfectly
fine. In fact when I searche google for an open source library system I
used just those search terms - I didnt use 'free'.

As for the logo colours - I don't mind the green and black. Contract is
good, its simple and unique. Many places that use Koha will not include
the logo as it takes up space. They might have something about Koha on
their "About" page.

Mike
--
Michael Lake
Chemistry, Materials & Forensic Science, UTS

--
UTS CRICOS Provider Code:  00099F
read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or attachments.  If