[Koha-devel] Translation

Paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Wed Jun 1 02:35:45 CEST 2005

MJ Ray a écrit :
> Corey Burger <corey.burger at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>There are two well known web translation tools:
>>Pootle by translate.org.za
>
> http://pootle.wordforge.org/ is slow to me. We might want
> to download the code and set up our own edition anyway. If
> we're doing that, why Pootle not Kartouche? Look at both.

I give a try to pootle on my computer. Some pro & some cons when
compared to kartouche.

The main pro being, imho, that it has recent version where kartouche is
old & seems unmaintained. I did some hack on kartouche to add features,
send a mail to the project leader, but got no answer.

Another pro for pootle : seems to be happy with any char encoding where
kartouche is 1 only (unicode by default, i changed it to iso8859-1 for
french translation)

A big pro for kartouche (according to me) : it's written in PHP, that I
know, while pootle is in python that i don't know at all

Note also i have some problems with kartouche :
* when importing > exporting .po files, I sometimes get differences
between original version & imported > exported one
* it seems kartouche don't handle fuzzy

Let's continue investigating.
--
Paul POULAIN