[Koha-devel] RM for 2.4 [news from france]

Stephen Hedges shedges at skemotah.com
Thu May 5 04:26:16 CEST 2005

Paul POULAIN said:
> The result of this trip (apart from meeting in real life stephen, owen &
> joshua that was really great) was that SAN decided definetly to go with
> Koha.

Excellent!  (I had a felling Yves would make the "right" decision.)

> What i'll request is to write what they will add & publish it ASAP. In
> fact, i/we already have written some pages (in french) about that. Still
> has to be completed & translated. But should arrive soon.

Good.  I think it would be very interesting to see what SAN-Ouest Provence
would like to add to Koha.  It's quite likely that their "wish list" will
have a big impact on the future direction of Koha.

> What will Ineo do in this matter ? Ineo, as a large company, will help
> SAN to go to Koha. So, they will coordinate dev of new features, help
> them migrating, teach...

Frankly, I am a little nervous about INEO being too deeply involved with
Koha too quickly.  It is a large company, with lots of resources (it's
part of a much, much larger company), but that can be both good and bad.
A large company can do a lot to promote Koha.  But a large company, if it
wants, could easily absorb Koha.  Koha is still a small open-source group.
 INEO's involvement will instantly increase the number of _active_
developers by about 50% (or more).  That could be either good or bad.

INEO has recently hired a very experienced library automation person
(Jean-Pierre) to manage their experiment with Koha.  (François-Laurent,
please correct me if that is incorrect.) But I think that INEO will want
to assess this experiment at some point and decide if they want to
continue their involvement with Koha.  So once again, I think we might
want to proceed with caution as we build a relationship with INEO.

> So, the next question is : who, from Joshua or Ineo would be the best RM ?

I think both -- but Joshua first (2.4), then INEO (2.6 -- or even 3.0, if
SAN-Ouest Provence proposes some really BIG changes) in about six months.
That would give INEO time to become part of the Koha community and get
very familiar with the code (and decide if they want to continue with
Koha).  And perhaps Chris' idea of having INEO do the QA would be a very
good way to accomplish that.

Stephen

--
Stephen Hedges