[Koha-devel] mysql version

Joshua Ferraro jmf at liblime.com
Thu May 26 09:56:09 CEST 2005

On Thu, May 26, 2005 at 05:32:59PM +0200, Paul POULAIN wrote:
> Not so easy : binary format of mysql databases differs from another
> version to another one.
> So, once you've installed a version X & have some DB, it's quite not so
> easy to update, because you have to dump everything, delete everything,
> install mysql X+1, and reload databases.
I think that only applies when going from a higher version to a lower
version (I upgraded from 3.23 to 4.0 without using mysqldump). Here
are the official upgrade guides (since we don't use InnoDB tables there
is less of a problem):
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/upgrading-from-3-23.html
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/upgrading-from-4-0.html

Note that it is probably a good idea to upgrade to 4.0 before upgrading
to 4.1. Also, if you're going to attempt to upgrade, please make backups
in case of an emergency and please try it on a test machine before a
production machine ;-). I should include a section on how to upgrade
to mysql 4.0/4.1 in my installation manuals -- I'll put that on my
list.

--
Joshua