[Koha-devel] Minutes of Website/Interface Design Meeting 2005-05-26

Joshua Ferraro jmf at liblime.com
Thu May 26 14:37:24 CEST 2005

Present at various times:
NZ: rach, russ, irma
GB: shaun and ben
US: owen and kados
ID: indradg

1/. koha.org Website

	a. Review of Russ's site map and ideas about _what_ koha.org is:
		1. it's a place that appeals to those in libraries making
			decisions about library systems
		2. it's a resource for developers

	b. we're going to put case studies up (DIY case studies like
	    NPL as well as 'supported' case studies from software
	    support  providers: we'll have a framework for
	    easily adding more case studies

	c. addressed tension between the koha.org site and the sites
	     of companies who offer services around koha; we need to
	     keep koha.org as vendor neutral as possible to attract
	     more vendors

	d. "Showcase" section of koha.org will include links to
	     'official koha demos' as well as vendor demos (to showcase
	      what vendor support can produce)

	e. We're going to have an official blog but for now we'll just
	     aggrogate existing developer blogs from the homepage

	f. add links to presentations folks have done on Koha; as well
	     as upcoming events where Koha will be showcased and
	     links to arguments _for_ open source in libraries

	g. design process: rach and russ will rework the site map
	     based on our meeting and will make some wireframes
	     they will also. russ and shaun will get a 'content
	     delivery schedule to divvy up the jobs. shaun will
	     continue to work on his design. (Added later) Irma
	     will proofread and do QA on the website.

2/. Koha Interfaces
	a. we will break up templates into 'programmer templates and
	    'official koha templates'

	b. programmer templates are just stripped-down templates for
	   testing/demonstrating functionality

	c. 'official koha templates' are crafted using design principles:
	    beauty, usability, standards compliance, accessibility (PDA,
	    screen readers, etc.), color coordination, graphical appeal,
	    etc.

	d. NPL templates will be used as design models, but default
	    templates will be redesigned.

	e. there was some brief discussion of using kea for template
	    design

3/. Roles
        a. rach and owen will be Interface Designers, rach will focus on
            design (graphically) and owen will do the coding; shaun
            and ben will work on an alternate set of templates and will
            contribute some improvements in wording, etc.

        b. LibLime can provide hosting for a staging server where the
             process can be observed

        c. Irma will do proofing and QA

Complete log at:
http://koha.org/cgi-bin/logs.pl?recall=recall&saved_query=Website%20Interface%20Design%20First%20Meeting

--
Joshua Ferraro               VENDOR SERVICES FOR OPEN-SOURCE SOFTWARE
LibLime                  Koha ILS, Mambo Intranet, DiscrimiNet Filter