[Koha-devel] The future of Koha (some ideas and thoughts) [IMPORTANT] (I hope) and [LONG] (not so)

Thomas D koha at alinto.com
Fri Sep 2 14:51:10 CEST 2005

I agree.  Furthermore, there are some significant advocates for disintegrating
integrated library systems.  An integrated library system seems to discourage
adding features and interoperating well with other systems.  Modules and
major components should be fully modularised so that they can play as well as
possible with others.  Some ILS vendors already market favoured modules
from their ILS systems for using as an add on to another company's ILS.  Koha
is much more likely to succeed at being installed in libraries if the ILS is not an
all or nothing installation.  It is not already all or nothing at the largest library
using Koha.  NPL uses ITS MARC for Windows for cataloguing.  Koha needs to
be able to do the same for using any module or major component with another
ILS.  That may go well beyond a direction for 3.0 but should be developed for
some future version.

Libraries should be free to choose the best modules from many systems to
create their ILS or Library Application Suite.  Even if modules work best
together with other modules from the same integrated system, they should also
work independently perfectly well.  As long as common standards to
exchange data are used mixing and matching modules between systems
should be fine.

Non-proprietary Unix, such as GN/Linux, did not succeed in corporate ILS
departments by wholy replacing all computer systems at a corporation.  It
started by allowing the corporate IT department to fulfil one niche at a time with
print servers, webservers, etc.  Gradually the confidence developed for non-
proprietary Unix to have wider adoption.  Non-proprietary Unix has still not
been comparably successful in the desktop systems market but that only
reinforces the point about the advantages of not having an all or nothing
approach to adopting Koha.

Thomas D

Quoting Joshua Ferraro <jmf at liblime.com> :