[Koha-devel] Fines Broken

Thomas D koha at alinto.com
Fri Sep 30 03:39:53 CEST 2005

To give an idea of what can be derived from an analytical features list that
also includes features not yet implemented and not on the roadmap consider
the example of fines.

Circulation needs and practises is not an area of library science expertise
for me personally.  Please correct any errors.

In the full form of the outline with combining features from current and
potential versions, there is the following edited extract.  Of course, this
is never meant to be seen because it is difficult to read and follow at
length.  The edited outline extract is followed by a descriptive explanation
based on the outline.

16. Circulation.
   1. Circulation Rules.
       1. Circulation Material Type Based.
             4. Fines.
                   1. Overdue fine rate.  [current, version 2.2.3]
                   2. Lost material fine.  [forthcoming, version unspecified]
       2. Library Based.
             4. Fines.
                   1. Overdue fine rate.  [current, version 2.2.3]
                   2. Lost material fine.  [forthcoming, version unspecified]
       3. Item Based.
             2. Fines.
                   1. Lost Material Fine.
                       1. Recorded replacement price.  [current, version 2.2.3]
                       2. Real time web service replacement cost based.
[forthcoming, version unspecified]
       4. Patron Privilege Type Based.
             4. Fines.
                   1. Overdue fine rate.  [current, version 2.2.3]
                   2. Lost material fine.  [forthcoming, version unspecified]

Circulation periods in Koha are currently set by circulation material types
(implemented as biblioitems.mediatype); library (branches); and patron
privileges.  [Here, I have edited out the portion of the outline section
that shows the circulation periods to show only fines.]

Lost materials fines are currently set by items.replacementprice.  This
value is only filled by normal accounting acquisitions.  Something seems to
be missing for simple accounting acquisitions.  A webservices request to a
supplier at the time of lost material fine assessment could be used to fill
a value or even update an existing value for items.replacementprice.
Calculating library time in ordering, shipping cost, and possible need for
currency conversion from the supplier might all be factors needing
consideration.  I expect that is a few feature elements too far for what you
had in mind for fines at the moment.

A complimentary and much simpler approach would be to provide parameters for
lost material fines set by the same elements that govern circulation
periods: circulation material type, library branch, and patron privilege
type.  The circulation rules page could then be used to set one more value
for when items.replacementprice was empty or when items.replacementpricedate
was older than a set date.

Thomas D

Quoting Joshua Ferraro <jmf at liblime.com> :