[Koha-devel] template system abuse

Owen Leonard oleonard at athenscounty.lib.oh.us
Thu Apr 13 16:46:22 CEST 2006

> and in template:
>
> href="<!-- TMPL_VAR NAME="url" -->"

Paul's point is the same as I would like to make: using this method removes
the option for the template designer to use a form instead of a link.  What
about leaving both options open?  Have the script create the URL variable
but also make all the individual variables available for use?

> <!-- TMPL_LOOP NAME="items" -->
>   <option value="<!-- TMPL_VAR NAME="value" -->" <!-- TMPL_VAR NAME="selected" -->><!-- TMPL_VAR NAME="name" --></option>
> <!-- /TMPL_LOOP -->

Paul, is this method translator-safe?  I thought you had had difficulties
in the past with constructions like this?

In both cases, past practices have colored my attitude towards these
practices:  Any time the script generates HTML, you run the risk of no
complying with the standard chosen by the template designer.  This was a
problem when we were transitioning between HTML and XHTML.  If we can all
agree on complying with XHTML transitional (at least), we just need to
follow the rules:

URLs which are generated by the script must include proper encoding of
ampersands (&amp; instead of &)

"selected" attributes generated by the script must follow the rules of no
implied attributes: selected="selected"

So it comes down to three suggestions from me:

1. Make options available to the template designers.
2. Ensure that generated markup is XHTML compliant
3. Find out if we're breaking the translator script :)

  -- Owen