[Koha-devel] template system abuse

Pierrick LE GALL pierrick at koha-fr.org
Thu Apr 13 17:38:01 CEST 2006

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 10:46:22 -0400
Owen Leonard <oleonard at athenscounty.lib.oh.us> wrote:

> > and in template:
> >
> > href="<!-- TMPL_VAR NAME="url" -->"
>
> Paul's point is the same as I would like to make: using this method
> removes the option for the template designer to use a form instead of
> a link. [...]

You know my opinion on this subject: form button should not be used
instead of links. A good template designer/writer (with HTML/CSS skills)
can apply a style to HTML "A" element which could make it look very
like a button. I'm far from being skilled in CSS, but do you think any
librarian will find which is a button and which is a link on this
screenshot? [1]

> [...] What about leaving both options open?  Have the script
> create the URL variable but also make all the individual variables
> available for use?

Well, it seems to be a huge work in my opinion. Do you suggest we do
this for every href of a template? I don't say you proposition is not
interesting, I believe it is not feasible.

> URLs which are generated by the script must include proper encoding of
> ampersands (&amp; instead of &)
>
> "selected" attributes generated by the script must follow the rules
> of no implied attributes: selected="selected"

We could have to functions for this: make_URL and
get_selected_string (returning 'selected="selected"'). Example of
make_URL usage:

my $url = make_url(
    'script.pl',
    [
        {key => 'key1', val => 'val1'},
        {key => 'key2', val => 'val2'},
        {key => 'key3', val => 'val3'},
    ]
);

=> script.pl?key1=val1&amp;key2=val2&amp;key3=val3

[1] http://le-gall.net/pierrick/images/koha-link_or_button.png

--
Pierrick LE GALL
INEO media system