[Koha-devel] KohaCon (may 2nd & 3rd) notes & questions

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Tue Apr 25 08:27:07 CEST 2006

Russel Garlick <russel at katipo.co.nz>
>  > Please can we use Ogg Theora?
> This would be a great idea. But the infrastructure on offer does not
> support this. If someone is happy to host content in this format, please
> let me know.

That objection seems noisy. You never asked before AFAIK.
I will host Ogg Theora content. Will katipo host for .nz?
Who else?

> What we have been offered at the moment is space on 2 Windows MMS servers.
>  From my brief google, it seems that Windows MMS does not support Theora
> - If anyone can find something that says it does, please let me know.

Google is not a good way to find detail. What is Windows MMS
server and what does it support? Does it support Directshow
Filters? Directshow Filters for Ogg Vorbis, Speex, Theora and
FLAC are at http://www.illiminable.com/ogg/

> So in order to put streaming video up in Ogg Theora format, we would
> need someone to set up something like an IceCast server -
> http://www.icecast.org/ (which could be interesting).

Can you tell me what bandwidth you'll be using? I've asked
my networkers, but I can't write a blank cheque for this.
Regardless, I'll be a bittorrent seed for the videos.

> My plan is to put the content up on the mms servers regardless. I have
> clients who only have Windows Media Player . From what I can see you
> need Winamp or some other 3rd party player (on Win) to play Ogg formats,

That is incorrect. See http://www.illiminable.com/ogg/ for codecs.

[...]
>   The reason I have offered space on the account we pay for is so I can
> reach my clients.

So do that privately. It's upsetting to see the Koha project
supporting software by aggressive anti-competitive companies
while locking out good honest free software users.

Thanks,
--
MJ Ray - personal email, see http://mjr.towers.org.uk/email.html
Work: http://www.ttllp.co.uk/  irc.oftc.net/slef  Jabber/SIP ask