[Koha-devel] SQL Dtabase Flavour Alternate Routines and Identifier Quoting Proposal

Nathan Gray kolibrie at southernvirginia.edu
Sat Feb 4 11:55:47 CET 2006

On Sat, Feb 04, 2006 at 03:34:25AM +0100, Thomas D wrote:
> # At the top of any C4 modules or $KOHA/admin/
> # scripts requiring SQL database access:
> # Obtain a value for the SQL database implementation type (flavour)
> $my $sqlDBType = C4::Context->config("sqlDBType");
> my $nonMySQLDBType = $sqlDBType;
> if ($nonMySQLDBType =~ /mysql/i) {$nonMySQLDBType = undef;}

The DBI has a place for this:

  $dbh->{Driver}{Name};  # MySQL, SQLite, Pg, Oracle

There might be a place for database version (PostgreSQL 7 vs 8), though
I have never needed it.

I am very interested in having Koha able to interact with databases
other than MySQL.  I cannot offer any time right now, but this
shortcoming has been nagging me for years.

A start like this, to at least keep new code from getting worse, and
maybe helping old code get better, is a nice incentive for me to start
thinking about it again.

-kolibrie