[Koha-devel] www.koha-fr.org, new look

Russel Garlick russel at katipo.co.nz
Wed Jan 25 23:54:18 CET 2006

Hi

> If the people at Katipo are happy, I'd be pleased to give you permission
> to use any of the code I wrote on www.koha.org for Koha purposes without
> limitation. I'm not too keen, however, on you redistributing it (as the
> GPL requires me to allow).

It is Shaun's design and he can do with it as he pleases.

But I think it raises and interesting point that is worth of discussion
in relation to how we market Koha.

What I am thinking about is "what is best for the Koha brand".

So with this all in mind -

What is the purpose of the Koha England site?

Is is

a) To be seen as a subsite of the koha.org site for users and developers
in England to pool resources that are specific to the use and
development of Koha in England and the UK

or is it

b) A tool to promote your the services of your own Koha company.

I think we need to make it clear that Koha is the product of a project
and is *not* what appears to be a company or other entity. So following
this train of though the Koha template should not be used by individual
companies to promote their own services. There are no Koha franchises or
official Koha regions given to individual companies to exploit.

I was under the impression that Paul and Henri were taking the content
of the koha.org site, which is all in English. And translating it into
French to make it more accessible for this audience. I welcome any
attempt to make the Koha message avaible in different languages and more
accessible. If anyone wants to take the content of the site and
translate it into any other language, great! lets talk :-)

I think the best solution would be to find a way that we can facilitate
a multi-lingual koha.org site. Now the current CMS doesnt support this.
We use Kea becuase it was quick to deploy the new look and feel. We
needed to get the old site down becuase it was just so out of date it
was wrong.

In regard to http://www.koha-fr.org/, Paul / Henri - if this site is an
attempt to mirror the content on www.koha.org then, great! If it is your
companies only site then I don't think it should be using the same look
and feel as koha.org. It becomes confusing. I think it would be wise for
  companies who are selling koha services to have their own site, with
their own look and feel, but utlising koha logos etc on their site as
advertising, rather than all sharing a similar look and feel.

But getting back to the Koha England site in particular, if it is a) A
general resource for Koha in England which is open for contributions
from all UK based Kohaphiles, then would it be better to look at away to
incorporate this into the koha.org site? Just thinking that we could
also have demand for USA, India etc.. subsites as well for sharing
expericences about Koha in those regions.

If we get a long thread started on this it might be worth discussing at
a meeting.

Cheers

--

Russel Garlick