[Koha-devel] form buttons Vs simple links

Pierrick LE GALL pierrick at koha-fr.org
Fri Mar 31 15:50:24 CEST 2006

Hi koha-devel,

I've started to work on Koha HEAD templates and my first remark is
about links. Why links are replaced by form buttons? This construction
is complicated and against semantic.

For example, in members/moremember, reaching members/readingrec
(reading records) requires to use a form button.

There are several reason not to do this:

- semantically incorrect, a form is supposed to have textfields, select
  boxes, a reset button and a submit button.

- when my mouse cursor is over the button I don't see in the status bar
  where clicking will bring me

- most of form are with method post and have a variable (like a
  borrower number) so I have a warning a each reload of the new page.
  Furthermore, I don't see the borrowernumber in the URL.

- painful to write in template HTML code

In my opinion, for action links, we could have icons. For example in
members/moremember, instead of a vertical list of possible action on
the borrower, we could have a text-align:center horizontal list
(display:inline) of pretty icons (there are plenty beautiful icons
available for free applications like Koha). A tool tip for each icon
giving details on each action.

I don't know/understand the reasons why buttons where choosen instead
of normal links to do links job, but I would be happy to have
information :-) (found nothing in IRC logs and koha-devel archives).

Bye

--
Pierrick LE GALL
INEO media system