[Koha-devel] Koha Foundation

COURYHOUSE at aol.com COURYHOUSE at aol.com
Thu Mar 30 19:01:52 CEST 2006

Greetings... I am back!

There are  lots of computers  that  get tossed here in the US .. A foundation
would allow you to approach companies to  set these  in far away places and
pick up the freight tab as a donation. Intel and other large US companies also
donate stuff...  Bill and Melissa gates foundation donates stuff... although
the thought of them donating boxes to run LINUX on might not seem
appropriate...

Anyway bottom line...  having a foundation or non profit corp. in the US  you
would be able to offer US companies and US citizens tax incentive for
helping..

Sad to say ... most of the time if there is no tax incentive they will do
nothing.

OK now for the  legal parts...

If you are going to  incorporate in just one country II would incorporate the
foundation in what  ever country would offer the best donations, as you will
have to be incorporated in that country to offer the citizens the  tax
benefit.  The US with the  abundance of  technology stuff here  seems to make sense.
But you can also incorporate it in many countries just like you do a
corporation for profit.

Thanks,

Ed Sharpe, Archivist for SMECC

See the Museum's Web Site at  www.smecc.org

We are always looking for items to add to the museum's display and ref.
library  - please advise if you have anything we can use.

Coury House / SMECC
5802 W. Palmaire Ave.                          Phone    623-435-1522
Glendale Az 85301  USA

I also know many libraries in Africa that could be interested by such
computers, with Koha (server or client -firefox-) installed.