[Koha-devel] dev_week / rel_3_0 zebra API

Paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Fri Sep 29 18:03:47 CEST 2006

Joshua Ferraro a écrit :
>> - we don't see anything commited in acqui.simple/addbiblio.pl and
>> additem.pl, meaning either you have forgotten to commit them, or that it
>> is still to be done. Pls tell us ;-)
> I forgot to commit ... will do today.

ok, thanks. I was sure you couldn't have cleaned so many things without
testing, so I was sure it was just something forgotten.

>> - AddBiblio / ModBiblio ... are now the ONLY point of entry to add a
>> biblio. That means the parameter MARC=OFF is definetly gone & abandonned.
> For dev_week/2.4, this is true. dev_week/2.4 is strictly for libraries that use
> MARC.

so the question is : CHRIS => is it OK for you, because it's OK for me,
so unless you say something, MARC=OFF will disappear in koha 3.0 !

>> * Search API :
>> - The search on catalogue can be done with Search.pm, subs BuildQuery &
>> GetRecords. All previous subs (cataloguersearch... are deprecated &
>> can/will be removed from the code)
> Not quite ... they are deprecated entirely from the OPAC. See the next point.
>
>> - the search in librarian interface is still search.marc/search.pl, and
>> don't use this new definitive API yet.
> There is an API wrapper that works, though needs many improvements. This
> means that anything calling catalogsearch will "work", or minimally, it should
> return results. I plan to expand on the wrapper a bit in the coming weeks, but
> eventually, (in rel_3_0), we'll want to re-write all the Intranet searches
> to use the new API.

OK, gotcha. wouldn't it be easy to copy/paste opac-search to librarian
search ? we wouldn't loose so many features.

>> - the search in OPAC is search (opac-search.pl & opac-zoomsearch.pl are
>> deprecated too & can be dropped). Is there a reason why you called it
>> "search" only (no .pl & no opac-xxx) ?
> It could be opac-search.pl. My goal was to shorten the URI for the user
> to one that makes more sense, but it's probably better to do this with
> mod_rewrite.

probably. I asked toins to rename search to opac-search.pl in rel_3_0 to
have all opac related stuff still called opac-..., and the .pl that is
important for mod_perl if I don't mind.

>> * where can we help ? we are going to merge the code to rel_3_0 and
>> continue cleaning, but should we do this on dev_week BEFORE merging, or
>> on rel_3_0 AFTER merging ?
> I would recommend sticking with rel_3_0, merge in code from dev_week/2.4
> as you see fit. I'll catch up with you once dev_week/2.4 is production-
> ready for the minimum requirements of LibLime's Koha-Zebra clients
> (ie, no UNIMARC, no MARC=off, no multi-language, etc.).

> Looking forward, I think it's going to be very important to define
> roles for each of our developers. Koha's codebase is simply too
> large for one developer to try to maintain. Perhaps at an upcoming
> meeting we can discuss this further.

you're a wise man & I totally agree...
and i think with repected coding rules & code cleaned & a stable API, we
could divide the code "easily".

--
Paul POULAIN et Henri Damien LAURENT
Consultants indépendants