[Koha-devel] Re: XSS Vulnerabilities in Koha

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Thu Aug 30 11:47:12 CEST 2007

[moved to Koha-devel] ...

Chris Cormack wrote:

> We did fix this up a while back for the opac, but overtime
> vulnerabilities might have crept back in. I'm not too worried about the
> intranet side, if someone malicious has access to that, you have bigger
> problems than xss :-) But Id certainly like to see patches for the opac.

Correct me if I am wrong, but XSS does not require the attacker to
have access to your server. Just the ability to carefully construct
a URL to that server that allows an attack via a (naive) user on
the server, the Intranet in this case. If one is already logged into
the Intranet and then is somehow tricked into clicking on a
malicious (XSS) link found elsewhere, in an email or on another
site, bingo! Gotcha!

I certainly do not profess to be an expert in XSS, but I'd imagine
that if one was determined enough to get access to the Koha Intranet
of a particular library for some nefarious purpose, a cookie theft
might be possible.

It would be educational to see an XSS in action on Koha, a real world
example. Then more eyes could have a look and help with an XSS audit.

My brief read on the web about XSS indicates that there are many many
varieties of the exploit, so that one would have to keep in mind these
many attack vectors while reviewing the sourcecode. And it would seem
that many attacks originate in user-supplied form data, so that proper
escaping and entity replacement of significant delimiters like < and >
are paramount as a first level of defense.

Which brings to mind another audit: one for SQL injection attacks. I
haven't had a close at the code, but a grep of "->quote(" turns up 102
uses in Koha/2.2.9, which leaves one feeling somewhat confident that
the problem has been addressed at one stage.

cheers
rickw

--
Rick Welykochy || Praxis Services

I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I wrote a long one instead.
      -- Mark Twain