[Koha-devel] Any interest in adding MP3 ID3v2 read/write capability to Koha?

Chris Nighswonger cnighswonger at foundations.edu
Wed Dec 5 20:31:22 CET 2007

On 12/3/07, Galen Charlton <galen.charlton at liblime.com> wrote:
> > So explain a bit more. I was thinking of a "simple" mapping from MARC
> > to id3v2 frames. Are you suggesting MARC to DC to id3v2? And how does
> > Zebra fit in here? (Sorry if these are simple questions?)
>
> More like a mapping from id3v2 to DC, like one found at
> http://age.hobba.nl/audio/tag_frame_reference.html.  I'm not vouching
> for that specific mapping, by the way, but it is an example.
>
> Once you map from id3v2, you can express DC as XML, then have Zebra
> index the DC natively.  Throw in some XSLT to display the DC in the
> OPAC, and you can search and display this metadata without necessarily
> having to map to MARC.  But if you want something to play with now,
> you can map your DC to MARC per LC's crosswalk
> (http://www.loc.gov/marc/marc2dc.html) and generate MARC records to
> load into Koha.

  Are we suggesting that there is really no need to take id3v2 data
and map it to marc records? If so (and I'm not sure this is what we
are saying), how will biblio entries for these resources be added? I
would like to be able:

   a. to simply point the staff client to an mp3 and have it generate
a marc record from the id3v2 header info, give me the opportunity to
review it for completeness (given that not all mp3's have pertinent
data), and insert it into the catalog. And...

  b. when an mp3 arrives which has no id3v2 header or an incomplete
one, enter the appropriate marc record (manually or from loc, etc.),
and then generate/write an id3v2 header based on that data to the mp3.

Both id3v2 and marc21 appear quite a bit more atomic than dc. It would
seem to be adding extra work to crosswalk to dc.

I may be lacking in my understanding here, so feel free to correct me.

Chris

--
Chris Nighswonger
Faculty Member