[Koha-devel] C4 and date formats

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Tue Dec 18 15:20:36 CET 2007

Vincent Danjean <vdanjean.ml at free.fr> wrote:
> Paul POULAIN wrote:
> > Ryan Higgins a écrit :
> >> I suggest the coding guideline that scripts maintain the date in local
> >> syspref-defined
> > I would have preffered to use iso in the code and format only for
> > outputting, but let's go with the solution you suggest. The important
> > thing is to have a single method to handle dates !

I would prefer ISO-format UTC, but also prefer a single method.  I
don't think the UK has one standard format, with opinion varying
between N Mon YYYY and Day, Nth Month YYYY and so on, so I could
forsee some of my servers having different settings and potentially
confusing me when working to develop fixes on a remote server that
doesn't happen on my test servers.

> I you choose local time, are you sure that scripts will behave correctly
> when there is time-shifting (several country such as France add and remove
> one hour one time per year) ? I do not look at the code, so I do not have
> any hints if the answer is yes or no. This is just a classical issue with
> local time.

Isn't France itself in multiple timezones, once you include DOM-TOM?
Also USA.  Again, a classic problem with using local time internally.
Will that cause us problems?

Regards,