[Koha-devel] too much buttons (librarian interface) => how to solve.

Paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Thu Jan 11 17:56:49 CET 2007

Hello,

In some screens, depending on the situation, we have MANY "action" buttons.
for example, in a biblio detail, when there is a subscription & the
librarian has all permissions, there are :
Edit biblio // Duplicate // Edit items // Delete // Complete view //
ISBD view // normal view // add to shelf // Subscriptions // Print //
view logs[*]

That is 11 buttons !!!

Really too much for the user imo.

We have various solutions :

- let as is, as there are only 2-3 places where there is this problem
(mainly : biblio & member) Pro : nothing to do, and 2-3 places, who
cares. Cons : not nice to use.

- Put those 11 buttons on 3 different lines. Cons : that's many place
left, as, sometimes the user has not 11 possibilités (due to permission
or biblio). Pro : users used to find actions on the top of the screen.

- Put those 11 buttons in a block on the right. It's very easy to do
with CSS, functionnal blocks (EDIT / VIEW / OTHER) can be separated by a
space (<br/>). Cons : on large screen, the right part can be a little
bit far from the mouse. Pro : uses some free place. with a fixed
positionning, can be always on screen.

Let me know your opinion, but mine is "block on the right".

[*] this is a new feature to see who do what on the biblio, if the
systempref is set
--
Paul POULAIN et Henri Damien LAURENT
Consultants indépendants