[Koha-devel] the future of koha without zebra

Paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Thu Jan 18 10:32:44 CET 2007

Hi world,

koha 3.0 will require zebra, everybody knows that. Zebra is hard to
setup & configure, & it's probably a rocket bomb to kill a fly for small
libraries.
Thus, a Koha without zebra will continue to be interesting for most
libraries.
How can we continue to provide koha without zebra ?
We have 2 possibilities :
- continue to maintain & update 2.2
- code a "SQL only" 3.0

Some thought :

Why we should NOT maintain 2.2 and 3.0 but create a SQL only 3.0
- code cleaned in 3.0, not in 2.2, making backport more complex & bugfix
harder.
- many more features in 3.0 that are not in 2.2

Why we should maintain a 2.2 and 3.0
====================================
- nothing in 3.0 to handle SQL only MARC datas. Storing everything in a
table like the previous marc_word should be "easy". The more complex
part would be to add a "ccl querying" facilities.

My personnal conclusion is that the 1st solution is the short term one,
as it's easier on the short term, but will become harder in the long term.
The 2nd solution is better if we decide to think "long term".

However, the solution that will be adopted, will depend, as usually &
often, of the candidates for the different solutions !!!

Any opinion on this welcomed !

--
Paul POULAIN et Henri Damien LAURENT
Consultants indépendants