[Koha-devel] Re: koha 3.0 packaging for Debian (a -french- candidate)

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Thu Jan 18 15:28:01 CET 2007

Paul POULAIN <paul.poulain at free.fr> wrote:
> MJ Ray a écrit :
> > I forget: why is this done with a script and not SQL ALTER/UPDATEs?
> because some high level operation can't be achieved through alter/update
> only.

But at the moment nothing seems to be done through SQL.  It's rather
fiddly to restart a half-completed updater/updatedatabase, whereas I
think many database administrators could start an SQL update done
part-way through.

Would you split the update into two stages:
  koha2-2-7-to-8.sql  # SQL alter/update script
  updatedatabase      # fills in missing high-level data
?

> For example : (between 2.2 & 3.0, which is, I admit something very
> specific) move the frameworkcode from marc_biblio (that will be removed
> after) to biblioitems table. create a marcxml column & fill it with XML
> marc record, that we get from MARCgetbiblio($biblionumber)->as_xml()

So for this example:

  koha-2-2-to-3-0.sql takes a final 2.2 koha db, moves the
  frameworkcode and creates marcxml with ALTER, UPDATE, SELECT ...

  updatedatabase populates empty marcxml columns

?

Hope you like that idea,
Somerset, England. Work/Laborejo: http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
IRC/Jabber/SIP: on request/peteble.