[Koha-devel] IMPORTANT Koha 3.0 updatedatase and kohastructure.sql

Joshua M. Ferraro jmf at liblime.com
Wed Jul 4 03:08:14 CEST 2007

----- "MJ Ray" <mjr at phonecoop.coop> wrote:
> "Joshua M. Ferraro" <jmf at liblime.com> wrote: [...]
> > I'd also like to point out that updatedatabase should start
> completely
> > blank for 3.0. IMO updatedatabase shouldn't be the upgrade path
> > from 1.x or 2.x to 3.0 ... rather, it should be the upgrade path
> > for 3.0 to 3.2, etc. Other thoughts?
>
> I thought updatedatabase started as the upgrade path from 2.0 to 2.2
> or similar.  How will 2.2 users upgrade to 3.0 if not updatedatabase?
>
> > I'd like to get feedback from everyone on the best way to maintain
> > kohastructure.sql and updatedatabase, to make sure we always have a
> > known SQL definition and update process. Comments, ideas?
>
> Firstly, the dumps should be made with the same options.  How about:
>   LANG=C mysqldump -cnQ koha >kohastructure.sql
> ?
>
> My second suggestion is more radical: kohastructure.sql should only
> be
> changed in a branch by the release manager.  Ideally, that would only
> happen with each release at most.  At all other times, ALTER
> statements and other transformations should be added to an upgrade
> file, say called kohastructure-3.0.0.sql, then
> kohastructure-3.0.1.sql
> - or should it be .pl and done with DBI commands?
>
> If included in the release, they could also be the basis of the
> database upgrade, just running that one change file for each release.
Yea, this is a great idea. Right now, it's near impossible to
weed through updatedatabase to try to figure out all the changes
that have been made to a given table, etc. What we need is a really
simple way to view all the changes and apply them, and one person
who's responsible for maintaining the official definition.

So what we need is to figure out what the authoritative SQL def looks
like for 3.0 ... any volunteers? :-)