[Koha-devel] Issues for README.txt and Makefile.PL

Vincent Danjean Vincent.Danjean at ens-lyon.org
Thu Nov 29 20:46:09 CET 2007

>>> http://www-id.imag.fr/Laboratoire/Membres/Danjean_Vincent/deb.html and
>>> MJ
>>> Ray has some at http://serene.ttllp.co.uk/~mjr/ .  At some point, these
>>> should be placed in repository for apt to use.
>> They will be placed in the main repositories.  Vincent Danjean has
>> pushed some packages to pkg-perl just this weekend.
>
> I assume that they will be in Debian testing at this point.  Will they
> also be provided for apt in a manner tied to Debian Etch via backports or
> an independent Etch based repository?

I see no technical reason not to do this. However, backport policy
requires than a significant number of users use the package to
introduce them here. So I will wait for the Koha package to be ready
before backporting them.
  If there is really a need, I can host them on my site but I will need
some free time to do so (wait a few weeks and resent me a mail if I
forgot)

> 5.  FILE OWNERSHIP.

[...]
> The installation process should be able to produce a working Koha
> installation with the least manual configuration necessary.  The more
> obstacles required to see a test installation of Koha running well,
> however minor, the less widespread interest in using Koha is likely to be.
>  [I do not mean that Koha should have a silly installation which presumes
> that the person installing does not need to know anything.  That would not
> happen with Koha, although, I suspect such simple installations help the
> adoption of some MS Window ILS systems.]

It's good that Koha has a simple working installer (it is needed for
installation with a provider) but I hope this part (permission, ...) will also
be handle by a Debian package soon. So that people will be able to
install Koha (not configure the library) with only "apt-get install koha".

  Best regards
    Vincent

Vincent Danjean       GPG key ID 0x9D025E87         vdanjean at debian.org
GPG key fingerprint: FC95 08A6 854D DB48 4B9A  8A94 0BF7 7867 9D02 5E87
Unofficial pacakges: http://www-id.imag.fr/~danjean/deb.html#package
APT repo:  deb http://perso.debian.org/~vdanjean/debian unstable main