[Koha-devel] OO-RDB mapper

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Mon Oct 1 10:01:00 CEST 2007

Rick Welykochy <rick at praxis.com.au> wrote:
> Have the Koha developers given any thought to recoding the raw DBI
> calls in Koha with an OO-RDB mapper?

I like it.  Using an OO-RDB mapper has made my PHP-based work almost
tolerable; using one for Perl should feel really good.  With that for
DB and Zebra for biblios, Koha would really rock.

However, it seems like a lot of work (it took me long enough to recode
all SQL calls to use prepare() back in 2.0.x) and I don't have spare
time or a sponsor for it.  It's not the sort of thing that will
attract sponsorship/commissions easily.  Few people want to pay for
rewriting existing code, even if they need features which it will
enable.  Would people pay KohaLa to pay for this sort of work?

The other problem:

> There are a number of them available on CPAN. [...]

What are their strengths and weaknesses and which should we bet on?
If we bet on the wrong one, how hard is it to switch later?

Best wishes,