[Koha-devel] MySQL installation, was: New Installer in master git tree

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Mon Oct 1 16:57:35 CEST 2007

Paul POULAIN <paul.poulain at free.fr> wrote:
> MJ Ray a écrit :
> > Paul POULAIN <paul.poulain at free.fr> wrote:
> >> - how to define the directory where I want to install Koha ?
> >
> > Set PREFIX and CGI_DIR environment variables, but the File Hierarchy
> > Standard defaults should be good for most people.  See perldoc
> > rewrite-config.PL for a full list of what you can change.
>
> something to add in README.txt

OK, I am doing this.  Will post patches soon.

> > [...]
> >> Note that the webinstaller requires the koha login/password, and only that.
> >
> > Could the web installer ask for (but not store) the mysql admin
> > login/password and create the koha login/password if it doesn't work
> > yet?
>
> It could, but it would need a root/login access, that can't be required
> because the main idea of the web installer is to have something for the
> *librarian* And I can't imagine a sysadmin giving a root access to a
> librarian ;-)
>
> So the idea to have a small script is the best direction to go imho.

I doubt it will be used very often, but there are small-library
librarians who are their own sysadmins and they do have root access to
mysql, but aren't comfortable using the mysql command line.

But, I suspect this would cause other complications with the config
files needing to be edited after the installer has finished, so it's
probably simplest to leave it out and to add a small setup-mysql-koha
script soon.

Regards,